Happy Friday, Earthlings!
Please don't forget that the kind folks at Jackery provided me with a discount code so all of my readers can get their own external mobile charger. I can't say enough good about them. I love my Jackery somethin' fierce. Click to get the details.
And onto all the many wonderful things that made me smile this week.
1. Oh the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. You cannot dispute it's effectiveness. The ALS Association's donations have gone up more than 2000% over the past month. That's insane. As a publicist, I can only dream about such success. Good on them. So while the gimmick is clearly working, it’s hard to shake the feeling that, for most of the people posting ice bucket videos of themselves on Facebook, Vine, and Instagram, the charity part remains a postscript. Even celebrities making these videos, while HUGELY entertaining, are not even referencing the donation factor anymore. (And not to be a hypocrite, I assure you, I cannot get enough of these videos. I have watched many and have not tired of it yet.)
So I'm not saying don't dump a bucket of ice water on your head. Do it. Make it count. (We're in a drought, California, so do it on your lawn or over some plants) .... I think generating awareness is one thing, but putting your money where your mouth is, is another. Just be sure to actually take that bit about raising awareness to hear and make your donation at http://www.alsa.org.
Jess at Shuggilippo challenged me (in a video -- I am a HUGE fan of her videos so I was excited) and I responded with a $100 donation. And as the tradition dictates I nominate three more people, I challenge Chris Evans, Joe Manganiello and Stuart Reardon. But only if they do it shirtless or in white t-shirts. Because charity. Could someone let them know? Thanks.
But if you wanna see the most moving Ice Bucket Challenge video, at the risk of making you cry, please watch this one:
You can see he's asking people to help get it to Ellen -- it worked. Which is awesome.
2. It's really just a startling reminder that you have to stop and smell the roses. This week, I tried to do that a little. Every day on my way to and from work, I see this view. And I always promise myself I'll pull over one time to enjoy it. Finally did.
3. Awesomely Luvvie captures everything I believe about KALE in one hilarious blog post. So, so true. I don't know how some of you eat that stuff.
4. Vogue's newest "73 Questions With" is with Daniel Radcliffe. He's so charming, guys. I just adore him. It'a a fun watch:
5. I love this "Emergencgy Chocolate Box" craft from 30 Minute Crafts. I want to make them for everyone for Christmas.
6. And I want to leave you with this song. It's FANTASTIC. It is charming, real and sweet. If the singer, Mary Lambert, looks familiar, it's likely because she's the vocalist featured in Macklemore and Ryan Lewis' "One Love."