I realize how often I bitch about sleep deprivation so the weight of it at this point is minimal at best. But I'm tired. Like... dead inside tired. It's not good. It's the kind of tired that makes me quiet and angry. And that's really saying something if you know me -- no one everdescribes me as a quiet person.
All that said, I'm trying to keep it all in perspective, thinking back, as I often do, on times when things were truly at their worst, and I thought I'd just fall into pieces. Nothing in my life right now is so dire, I suppose; nothing is that grim.
And so my aim with this week's wrap-up is to shine a light on positivity. Let's see...
1. You're only as good as the company you keep. A smart man surrounds himself with people smarter than he is. And so on. What I am trying to say is, I have good people. Good friends with open hearts, available shoulders, and wonderful advice. Thank you, my friends. I will never hug you enough. Or be hugged by you enough. Basically I'm a ginormous heap of emotion because my friends are rad.
2. I've watched this video about 12 times this week because it makes me smile and giggle every time.
Puppy just wants to play.
3. Yesterday was Josh Groban's birthday. I don't know if you know this about me, but I love him. I've loved him since hs first appeared as an axious high school senior on an episode of "Ally McBeal." I've seen him in concert and he's phenomenal. And above all, he has an amazing sense of humor. And so I give you this video from a couple years back in which at the behest of Jimmy Kimmel, he sings the tweets of Kanye West. It's pretty brilliant:
He's right about the fur pillows, by the way.
4. For funsies, I decided to organize a blog exchange program among 20 bloggers I know. Each of us is assigned to guest post for another. The idea is to write in their universe, under the banner of a topic they assign, and stretch ourselves. I had a really good time looking at everyone's blogs and swapping names around, making the grid. I'm excited to guest post on Raquel's blog next month and to have Melissa guest post here!
5. I was so sad that Harold Ramis passed away. When I looked at his list of film credits, I realized that a lot of my favorite movies were on the list. In fact, he co-wrote my all-time favorite comedy, Animal House. I've been watching his movies every night as I go to sleep and despite whatever moods and feelings I've experienced this week, I've at least managed to go to bed smiling every night, and that's nice.
It's hard to choose my favorite moment in Animal House. I love the "I gave my love a cherry" scene the most (if you've seen it, you know exactly what I mean. If you haven't, just stop whatever you're doing and rent or buy this movie immediately) and also, this classic and prophetic Bluto moment:
And how cute is young Tim Matheson?!
Rest in peace, Mr. Ramis. "Doe.... Ray..... EGON!"